From Gaza, with Love

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Gaza today

Gaza Today
26th of February

Raining, raining, very cold; it seems that we’ve been struck by a storm from Europe.

I sit in my 10th floor apartment by the seaside, dark and cold (very cold), thinking of thousands of families that do not have electricity at the moment. Many have the opportunity to buy small electrical generators that we import via the tunnels, but the majority cannot afford them! As for me, for many reasons, including environmental reasons, I rejected the idea—those generators are very noisy, costly, and a nuisance.

Lack of electricity in the home for long periods not only affects routine household activities (which are extremely vital), it affects ones mood, too, and communication with the outside world and even inside Gaza, as all telecommunications are affected by power cuts.

The small piece of land that is Gaza is surrounded by electrical wires and closed borders, where 1.6 million live from one day to another with all sorts of hardships and no political outlet, exacerbated not only by the occupation but also the internal division.

Clean water is big problem—the purchase of water adds an additional burden on families small budgets.

It is raining heavily outside and getting colder and colder. It is dark, gloomy, so depressing. This is my Gaza today.

1 Comments:

  • I have been following your blog and your entries are very powerful; I love the honesty and reality that you write with.

    I wonder, how do you manage to blog when the telecommunications experience power cuts? In the 23-day attack on Gaza last year, you were still blogging, and I am wondering where you access the internet and how easy or difficult it is for you to do. What about your community members? It is easy to communicate outside of Gaza? What challenges in communicating do you face?

    I wonder this because I live in a place where the internet is easily accessible, so I can't imagine what it would be like to be out of communication with my friends and family for days at a time.

    By Blogger shelbyleahuvm, at 6/02/2010 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home